Monday, November 28, 2011

Personal Equipment Report: Fins

Fins. Function? Simple. Increase the area of your feet to greatly increase efficiency so as to provide mobility underwater.

The standard equipment report disclaimer: I'm not a representative of the products mentioned and neither am I given any incentive to use them.

The most often asked question regarding fins with newer divers is always, paddle or split? The answer always varies. From a personal point of view, I do not like split fins when I dive in open water. My wife swears by them. I own a pair of splits, a pair of TUSA X-Pert Zoom full foot fins which has been replaced with the X-Pert Evolution. Similar though. I only use these fins in the pool when I conduct classes or practice skills. In open water I still use the same pair of fins I started with which is the TUSA Platina Plus. They are open heel paddle fins. That I've not wanted to replace them pretty much means I got lucky as a newbie and got a pair I liked straight off the bat. The wife uses the TUSA X-Pert Zoom which are open heel split fins.

The most often quoted line with split fins is that they aren't any good in a current. The wife seems quite happy in currents so I can't really say much against them in this area. What's evident is that they greatly reduce finning effort. They don't lack speed either. I'll lose a straight race with the wife as I've been overtaken and left behind in her bubbles more than once (goodbye wave optional). I've tried them, I hate them. I like the feedback from paddle fins. I don't like not having the feeling of the water pushing back. There is also one more big disadvantage the split fins, especially TUSA split fins (will elaborate soon) have compared with paddle fins. They are not the easiest fins to use to go backwards. As most underwater photographers will tell you, this is a required manouvre at times. TUSA split fins are also angled slightly downwards to offset the angle of the ankles so the fins are parallel with direction. This makes it even more difficult. Great for going forward though. I very much prefer the control, feedback and versatility from paddle fins and I'm quite block-headed stubborn to changing my preferences.

Next thing to consider is open heel or full foot. Full foot fins are pretty much slip-in/slip-out fins with your bare feet. Open heel fins require that you wear booties with them.

Short booty er.... bootie section. Booties are generally boots, slippers, thin soles, thick soles. Boots are high-cuts which I find are quite beneficial when walking on sand. It doesn't totally prevent sand from getting in but is helped by wearing long wetsuits which is pulled over the top of the boot. If you're diving exclusively from a boat and not stepping on sand, the slippers will be the way to go as they're easier to slip in and out of them. I prefer using thick soles as they have a proper sole to them instead of the thin layer of rubber which can be uncomfortable as you can feel about everything you're walking on. Needless to say, I wear TUSA booties which come only with thick soles. I have both the boot and slipper. I'd pack the ones based on what I know of the dive locations. If I'm unsure, I'll pack the boots.

It's quite important that when you're buying fins, to try them on. With open heel fins, you definitely should bring along your booties or buy them with the fins after trying them together. Wearing open heel fins, your foot should not be completely in the fin. Your heel should still be sticking out the back and you should not have too much side ways motion in the fin if at all. Check with your friendly LDS staff for advice and fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment